Tuesday, July 29, 2008

War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise, 2005)


Sassy is feeling awfully sassy today! I'm surrounded by tests (i.e. people are getting on my nerves). So, I'm a little lacking in spiritual insight at the moment. I am so challenged at times. Seriously. I think Sassy needs a cold Coca-Cola (you know that's my alcohol substitute) and an episode of Sex and the City to knock the edge off.

It's difficult sometimes to remember that life is spiritual warfare. Every action, reaction, insult, and irritation, has some sort of spiritual implication that will serve to draw us closer to God or to walking in a carnal manner. More than the events themselves, it's our responses to them that will ultimately determine how we will walk (spirit led or in the flesh). I can either go off--which I'm very good at--or I can remember that I do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (Eph. 6:12).

There are days, that I want to go for flesh and blood. I want to tell that flesh & blood off, and then impolitely say: Get over yourself and go jump in the lake! But, obviously, that would be contrary to everything the Word teaches. Instead, everyday, I must remember to somehow focus on the real issues: the principalities, powers, and spiritual hosts of wickedness. This is spiritual warfare.

We're reminded to combat spiritual warfare in Ephesians 6 by putting on the "FULL" armor of God. The implication is that I can sometimes walk around covered in only "part" of the armor. Some days I may only wear the helmet (of salvation). But, I need the whole armor. I need my waist girded with truth; my chest covered in the breastplate of righteousness; my feet immersed with the preparation of the gospel of peace; the shield of faith to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one; the sword of the Spirit/Truth, which is the word of God (Eph. 6:14-17). Even then, I must pray always and be watchful. That's A LOT OF STUFF, isn't it? It's no wonder, because there are a lot of people...errr...principalities just waiting to fire darts at you.

So, let's get ready for war! Put on the whole armor everyday. Salvation (as wonderfully sweet as it is) is just the beginning. If it were just about being saved, then, Ephesians 6 would not tell us to put on all those other things. So, yes, I know a warrior would be foolish to not wear a helmet into battle. Please, put on the helmet! But don't forget all of the other pieces that will ultimately lead us to victory!

No comments: