Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Exclusive Rights (Gayne Whitman, 1926)


I was touring my city in search of the perfect nail spa. We have plenty of nail shops/places but I wanted a spa atmosphere. So, I find the perfect spot. It's called SoHo's. I can respect that--especially since my favorite singer ever (Maxwell) frequents the SoHo area in New York.

So, I'm telling a friend about my great find when she suddenly gives me a look of disgust. She went on to tell me I shouldn't go to that shop because its owners are Buddhist and they're open on Sundays. She further suggested that I visit her low budget, cheap, and totally unsophisticated nail shop because they're Christian owned.

Let me be clear. I have no problem with supporting Christian businesses. However, I will not become a patron of a nail shop solely for that reason--especially when it is lacking the spa feel that this Sassy Girl desires. I must admit, I was dumbfounded by her point of view. A few things came to mind:

1. Why is she so proud of her nail shop for being closed on Sunday yet she goes to the mall and to restaurants on Sundays? A nail shop should be closed in honor of the Christian Sabbath, but the places she visits shouldn't be? Additionally, she isn't concerned with the Buddha statues in her favorite Chinese and Japanese restaurants. Now, I'm not one to use the H word, as I feel all people are H's to some degree. But, this sounds very Hypocritical to me.

2. As a teacher, I taught children of every religion. That didn't disqualify me as a professional. So, in my opinion, it would be wrong of me to judge people as unworthy of my patronage based solely on their religion. The thought of that is ridiculous to me.

I don't understand this "Christian Separatist" mentality. Jesus wasn't that way. Jesus went out and let his light "so shine among men" that they would see His good works and glorify His Father in Heaven. Shouldn't contemporary Christians do the same? That's sassy's way of thinking. But, in the meantime, there is an entire movement of Christians that would have us all withdraw from American society and live in a Christian only bubble. I really fail to see how one can live out the Great Commission while removing themselves from everything non Christian. In the meantime, I have an appointment at SoHo's!

2 comments:

Audra said...

Very well said! I couldn't agree with you more.

momtoabean said...

Great post Christina! I totally agree!