Monday, July 28, 2008

Great Expectations (Ethan Hawke, Gwenyth Paltrow, 1998)


I have a good life. The bills are paid. My marriage is stronger than ever. We have food, clothing, and shelter. My business is taking off! In short, I am content. Yet, I'm discontent. I realize that I must never become complacent with a "good life." My earnest desire must be: The "Best" Life. No, this is not about being rich! It's about desiring whatever the "exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we ask or think," life, is for me. The Bible says we can have those things, according to the power that works in us (Eph. 3:20). When, I think about that power in me being the same power that raised Christ from the dead, the potential for my life is mind blowing.

Because of this, it's vital that I live each day to the fullest...that I redeem the time, and walk worthy of the call of Christ on my life. The world calls me to mediocrity or to do whatever makes me feel good. However, that is rarely the path that will lead to excellence. Sometimes, the road to the best life calls one to deny themselves. It's not enough to just go through the motions of life--barely getting by. I want you and I to walk in every blessed, good, and perfect thing, that the Lord has in store for us. A mediocre life is not enough! Let's desire excellence!

The Lord is just waiting to give us all that He has planned for us. But, we must first operate in obedience to Him and strive everyday to know Him more. I am recommitting today (and everyday) to walk that out in my life. I don't want a life full of the pursuit of "things" or people pleasing. My goal is to focus on those eternal things that will last far beyond this life. Jesus has so much peace, power, joy, wisdom, and strength for all of us. He can take our imperfections and "average" lives, then mold them into something beautiful! He will bestow on us a crown of beauty instead of ashes (Isa. 61:3).

So what, if your life isn't all you want it to be. It's not too late. You can choose today to be excellent! Just maybe, the Lord's waiting for you to choose excellence instead of the mundane mediocrity so prevalent in our world.

Col. 1:10; 3:24-24; 4:5

1 comment:

Jon and Melissa said...

beautiful. you inspire me. How God is working through ya. It is awe-mazing. the words God gives you fill my soul. I can't wait to hang out and you can rub some of that on me.