Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fools Gold (Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, 2008)'



Sassy apologizes for her disappearance from the blogosphere. But never fear, I am back, and I have PLENTY on my mind. So, you'll be in Sassy Jesus Girl overload today.

Do you remember my blog about the DVD I lost when I put it in a safe place? Well, Fool's Gold, would be the DVD in question, and I STILL haven't found it.
____________________________

Sassy must admit that once upon a time she took sick pleasure in seeing people humiliate themselves on those "Love" series shows that air on VH1. You know the ones, Flava of Love and I Love New York. The crazy behavior baffled me, yet drew me into the series. It was like driving by the scene of an accident. You know it's bad and you shouldn't stare, but you can't help yourself! Well, that's what these shows became for me. I'd watch and laugh at how ridiculous these "characters" (because I don't believe people accurately portrayed themselves) would behave.

It was while watching the Rock of Love series that I finally became sensitive to God convicting. It became too much and I knew it was time to press the "channel" button. The Holy Spirit was screaming: "Enough is Enough." This was no still small voice (1 King 19:12). I was reminded that, my eyes are the lamp of my body. When my eyes are good, my whole body is also full of light. But when they are bad, my body also is full of darkness (Luke 11:34). Now, Sassy doesn't ascribe to the belief that seeing something bad immediately makes on bad. But, I realize ongoing viewing of immorality can desensitize me and draw my focus toward carnal things, thereby making my body dark. So, I had to be true to my personal conviction and stop watching these shows.

Last night, I was channel surfing (because we all know summer TV is awful) and happened upon "I Love Money." I'd heard about this show but never watched it. Out of curiosity, I stopped to watch a few minutes. The title says it all. I don't know if this show is worse than the others or I'm just more sensitive now. But, I could not believe what I saw. There was something about the extent these people will go for money that amazed and saddened me. The contestants had to make themselves cry to win a competition. So, one girl put Cayenne pepper in her eyes while another young man, put hot sauce in his eyes. It was absolutely ridiculous. Why would one do that to their EYES? Why? How empty must one's life be to resort to something like that just to win money--especially when they're not strapped for cash from the beginning.

Needless to say, I had to change the channel. But, I'm glad to have seen what I did. It made me reflect on my life. It's true that money is not a negative thing. However, the love of it is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs (1 Titus 6:10). I don't condemn those "contestants" for what they did. But, I do pray they'd one day see, there's so much more to life than that. God has great riches for us that far surpass anything this Earth can give. In the meantime, I'm reminding myself to, keep my life free from the love of money and be content with what I have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (Heb. 13:5).

1 comment:

momtoabean said...

I can't watch any of those shows. They make me feel sorry for the people who are so attention hungry that they'd do anything for it and for money. It makes me really sad.