Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Heartbreak Kid (Charles Grobin, 1973)



During the Christmas season, I typically attend a local production that features the life of Christ: His birth, miracles, crucifixion, and resurrection. As odd as it sounds, today, the crucifixion held special comfort for me. Viewing (a watered down version of) it reminded that not only did Jesus take my sins to the cross, He also took my pains. Every hurt that I endure, He's already handled.

I have a sweet sweet friend who recently experienced a terrible loss. It's a type of grief with which Sassy is personally acquainted. So, I have been contemplating the grief and loss she must feel. But, just as there was for me, there is a balm for her pain--and it's found in the cross.

As I watched the play today, I was reminded of how true it is that God's grace is sufficient for me and His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor. 12:9). So, when the hard times come, I cast all my cares on Him because truly He cares for me (I Peter 5:7).

One day, my God will wipe every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for that order of things will pass away (Rev 2:14). Until then, I find comfort in knowing that The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit (Psalms 34:18).

No comments: